I have lived in Wapping for 30 years having arrived as child and am now raising my family here. I want serve the residents here to help build a neighbourhood that is better, fairer and safer for all. The issues which effects my friends, neighbours in Wapping like the worrying of reduction of 100 bus servers , crime and ASB, protecting our green space, lack of affordable housing for local people and provision for children.
I am deeply rooted in the local community, with a proven track record of delivering. As a former councillor and Cabinet member in Tower Hamlets, I have campaigned and delivered on issues such as health, education, transport, community safety, housing and the environment.
Key facts about Abdal
- Resident of Wapping over 30 years
- Served as a Tower Hamlets Councillor from 2006 -2014, 5 years as Cabinet member for Safer, Cleaner & Greener
- Oversaw rollout of £2+ million invested in CCTV across the borough including cameras in Wapping
- Introduced doorstep recycling collection and the pink bags, resulting in best ever recycling rates [up to 40% from annual best of 7%]
- Introduced the Tower Hamlets Enforcement Officers and started process to buy 20 extra police officers, launched the ‘Dealer a Day’ initiative to catch and prosecute drug dealers
Vote Abdal & Team Labour
Policing / Crime Reduction
Former Metropolitan Police Authority Member for six years, as Chair of Community Engagement Committee, helped implement pan London Police consultative process
Council member of Queen Mary
University of London
Vice chair of Tower Hamlets College governors board and governor at Hermitage Primary School in Wapping
Former Non Executive Director of Bart’s & London NHS, helped to oversee the implementation of the new Bart’s Hospital Managed Sure Start family project